I have signed up as a civilian volunteer with Sheep Dog Impact Assistance to join and support those who have served in our military, fire departments, police departments, EMTs, and all agencies with the duty of first response. Sheep Dog IA is a non-profit organization serving those who have served our country and provides continued service opportunities. With the help of Members and Volunteers, Sheep Dog deploys teams to disaster relief efforts. Stated on the mission page of the Sheep Dog IA website, “[t]eams provide help through tree and debris removal, muck-out operations, covering roofs & windows, distributing food & water, and other meaningful tasks”. They also organize Adventure Outings and Holiday Assistance.
I come from a family with a long history of military service and I grew up appreciating that service. In continuing to pay it forward, I look forward to serving with fellow volunteers in disaster response missions. My time with the national park service and bureau of land management to ensure the public’s safety and the protection of our wilderness in my capacity as volunteer, seasonal Ranger, and eventually Park Ranger is an extension of that long term commitment. We can all do more than just buy bumper stickers. Sign up, volunteer, donate, and reach a life.
Here’s the full description for Volunteer:
- Are not required to have a military/first responder background, only a desire to serve and help others.
- Assist with SDIA National Office and Chapter/Team activities and events (charity events, holiday pack-outs, disaster response efforts, etc.) as much as possible.
- Appreciate that SDIA is their organization. Volunteers will only get out of SDIA what they are willing to put into it.
- Follow National Office recommendations and/or requirements pertaining to safety and disaster training as needed.
- Participate in formal National/Chapter/Team meetings and/or motivational/team-building events as often as time and proximity allows.
- Participate in disaster response missions, mission support, assisting Sheep Dogs in need, fundraising, all of the “above” or a mix there of, as time permits.
- Does not pay dues.
- Have the opportunity to give back to your community, country, and self.
- The opportunity for potential SDIA Membership through our Honorary Sheep Dog program.
- Sheep Dog shield t-shirt when you volunteer at/during your first event or mission.
- Receive SDIA Volunteer Member Only benefits:
- 10% off gear & apparel on the www.SDIATactical.com site, featuring items from 5.11 Tactical, ESS, SOG, Propper, Mechanix Wear, Drago, & more.
- Access to Outdoor Adventures, including adventure races, private shooting ranges, sporting events, camping trips, boating, and more.
- Special Training sessions – CPR, Basic and Advanced first aid, Chainsaw safety, SAR, Scuba, Marksmanship, Rappelling, and more.
- Newsletters with special discounts and opportunities.
- Access to Annual SDIA Conference meetings in places like Washington, DC and Las Vegas. “
(Sheep Dog Impact Assistance – Volunteer)
Sheep Dog IA is a long term commitment for me. During my travels to our national parks, forests, wildlife preserves, etc, I will be rucking/hiking to raise money for Wounded Warrior Project thanks to the Charity Miles app. You can too.